Is Ray Comfort committing heresy? Is he teaching a Salvation by works message? Absolutely not! He is teaching what most of the Church refuses to teach these days, the TRUTH!
To those who claim he is committing heresy, show me where the “Prayer of Salvation” is at in the Bible. I will be waiting a long time because it isn’t in there. That prayer is man made construct, a “works of salvation” no different than the works of the Pharisees if that is all you think it takes to “be saved”. One 30 second repetitive prayer does not open up heaven to anyone for any reason. Something else must happen first before the kingdom of heaven will acknowledge you.
I prayed that prayer once, in what I would call a “peer pressure salvation” at the age of 13. At the age of 15, I renounced G-d the Father, G-d the Son and G-d the Holy Spirit and began explaining to everyone in the Christian school I attended how utterly insane it was to believe in a god of any kind. I also trashed my Bible by writing mockery in it and renaming it the unholy Bible. I had become a Gnostic Atheist, evolutionist and anti-supernaturalist. And I continued on this path for nine years, relentlessly going back and forth with anyone who would dare question me or attempt to witness to me about anything to do with G-d. I had all the answers and everyone else just needed greater “scientific” understanding.
Repentance, the Greek Metanoia, and the Hebrew Teshuvah all point to a turning away and having a changed/renewed mind. The Hebrew actually means not only to turn away but to return from that to which you came, which would be that through which all was created, Christ Jesus.
We saw this type of repentance on Calvary. The one thief that Jesus said would be with Him in Paradise, recognized Jesus for who He was, truly recognized Him and mourned having not recognized Him previously. The thief then admitted that he deserved the same fate as the other thief who was not going with Jesus. It was Jesus who pronounced him saved, not himself.
We do not find Jesus. Jesus finds us. It is us who are lost….not the other way around. It is us who need turning around, not the other way around.
Repent, or be deceived.
Now, after salvation, there are works. Not to be saved, but as the fruit of your salvation. One of the very first works, is the Mikvah, the baptismal, the ceremonial cleansing pool commanded to both believing Jew and Gentile. Is this absolutely required for salvation? No, it wasn’t required of the thief on the cross! How could the thief perform the Mikvah? He couldn’t. But if he had a second to do it, you could bet the farm that he would and would have fulfilled the public announcement, like a wedding ceremony, that he was born again, a new person having been made complete in Jesus.
Once saved, you have the rest of your natural life on this Earth, for ever how long that lasts, to continue repenting of your sins daily. Do a Google for the unrepenting repenter for all the examples of false repentance.
1. You may reform in the actions without repenting in the heart.
2. You may experience the emotion of repentance without the effect of it.
3. You may confess the words of a true repenter and never repent.
4. You may repent for the fear of reprisal alone and not for the hatred of sin.
5. You may talk against sin in public like a true repenter but never repent in private.
6. You may repent primarily for temporal gains rather than the glory of God.
7. You may repent of lesser sins for the purpose of avoiding the greater sins.
8. You may repent so generally that you never repent of any specific sin at all.
9. You may repent for the love of friends and religious leaders and not repent for the love of God.
10. You may confess the finished action of sin and not repent from the continuing habit of sin.
11. You may attempt repentance of your sin while consciously leaving open the door of its opportunity.
12. You may make an effort to repent of some sins without repenting of all the sin you know.